Some advice for women dating onlinePosted: December 13, 2004
The ONLY thing that qualifies me to give advice on this topic is that I'm a guy and I have certain gut reactions to certain things. Here are some online dating no-no's that women frequently do that give me an upset stomach.
1) Putting a guy in the picture. I don't care if it's your brother, your cousin, your dad, or your ex. BAD IDEA. I don't want to see any of those people – you wouldn't bring them to a party and have them introduce you, would you?
2) Putting other girls in the picture can also work against you for the simple reason that guys are going to be checking them out too. Also, if it's not clear which one is you, not good.
3) Writing “I can't believe I'm doing this” or “I've never done this before”, “this” referring to online dating. Ummm, get over it – you're doing it, and everyone who's reading you're profile is doing it too. If you see yourself as a loser for doing online dating, then so is everyone you plan to meet that way. Something to think about.
4) Complaining in your profile that “It's so hard to write about yourself in only 4 sentences.” First of all, no it isn't. If you can write about Gandhi in 4 sentences, you can write about yourself. Second of all, again, everyone has the same problem. Deal.
5) I was going to say not checking your spelling, but that's much more personal preference than the others. For some guys, bad spelling is a turn-on. Also, you're exempt if you're foreign.
Anyway, this post has been a bit harsh, but it's meant as tough love. Also, I'm writing anonymously, so nyah nyah. If I can think of any others no-no's I'll definitely post them…